Winter, Cookman named NFHCA Division I National Players of the Week
MANAHAWKIN, NJ — Sophomore Defender from No. 4 Rutgers University, Puck Winter, and sophomore forward from University of New Hampshire, Tasmin Cookman, have been named this week’s NFHCA Division I Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week, respectively.
First-year goalkeeper from No. 17 Cornell University, Martha Broderick, and first-year forward from Drexel University, Val Van Hellemont, have also received honorable mention nods for Division I Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week, respectively, as well.
NFHCA Division I Defensive Player of the Week
Puck Winter, No. 4 Rutgers University, So., Defender (Deventer, Netherlands)
- Named B1G Defensive Player of the Week.
- Made defensive saves in both Rutgers’ road wins to raise her season total to eight, second-best in the nation.
- Led defensive corps that held the NCAA’s top-scoring team, then No. 9 The Ohio State University, scoreless.
- Stabilized the Scarlet Knights’ backline that has allowed just 13 goals in 14 games this season.
NFHCA Division I Offensive Player of the Week
Tasmin Cookman, University of New Hampshire, So., Forward (Woking, England)
- Achieved second NFHCA Offensive Player of the Week honor.
- Named America East Offensive Player of the Week.
- Recorded six goals and two assists for a total of 14 points in two victories.
- Ranks third nationally in points per game (2.73) and fourth in goals per game (1.20).
- Leads both UNH and America East in goals (18) and points (41).
NFHCA Division I Defensive Player of the Week Honorable Mention
Martha Broderick, No. 17 Cornell University, FY., Goalkeeper (Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England)
- Named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week.
- Posted a 0.46 goals against average and a .833 save percentage in two wins.
- Made five saves against No. 13 Syracuse University, including two penalty stroke-saves.
NFHCA Division I Offensive Player of the Week Honorable Mention
Val Van Hellemont, Drexel University, FY., Forward (Lier, Belgium)
- Named CAA Player of the Week.
- Recorded 10 points on five goals, leading Drexel to a 2-0 week.
- Ranks second in the CAA in points (25) and goals (11).
The National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) is a nonprofit organization serving field hockey coaches and supporters of the game from across the United States. The mission of the association is to champion, strengthen, and celebrate field hockey coaches and the game. The NFHCA strives to be the organization that every field hockey coach looks to for the resources to grow in the game and the inspiration to stay in the game.