Skubisz, Beekhuis named NFHCA Division I National Players of the Week
MANAHAWKIN, NJ — Senior goalkeeper from No 2. Northwestern University, Annabel Skubisz, and first year forward from No. 9 Harvard University, Lara Beekhuis, have been named this week’s NFHCA Division I Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week, respectively.
Junior goalkeeper from Sacred Heart University, Samantha Maresca, and senior forward from No. 12 The Ohio State University, Makenna Webster, also received honorable mention nods for Division I Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week, respectively, as well.
NFHCA Division I Defensive Player of the Week
Annabel Skubisz, No. 2 Northwestern University, Sr., Goalkeeper (Houston, Texas)
- Named Most Valuable Player of the B1G Tournament.
- Stopped 15 of 16 shots in a pair of wins at the B1G Tournament.
- Recorded a 0.43 goals-against average and .938 save percentage to lead the Wildcats to the tournament title.
- Registered 11th shutout of the season.
- Helped Northwestern extend its school win streak to 18 matches.
NFHCA Division I Offensive Player of the Week
Lara Beekhuis, No. 9 Harvard University, FY., Midfielder (Laren, Netherlands)
- Named the inaugural Ivy League tournament Most Outstanding Player.
- Scored all three goals for Harvard in the tournament.
- Netted the game-winner in a 1-0 win in the semifinal over Penn and also scored both goals, including the game-winner with 35.7 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, to give Harvard the 2-1 win over Princeton, securing the Ivy League tournament win and automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
NFHCA Division I Defensive Player of the Week Honorable Mention
Samantha Maresca, Sacred Heart University, Junior, Goalkeeper (Mamaroneck, New York)
Made 13 saves in a 1-0 OT victory over Wagner in the NEC Championship game.
- Helped Sacred Heart claim the NEC title for the first time since 2005.
- Made five saves in the NEC semifinals against St. Francis, helping to preserve a double-overtime, 1-0 shutout.
NFHCA Division I Offensive Player of the Week Honorable Mention
Makenna Webster, No. 12 The Ohio State University, Senior, Forward (St. Louis, Missouri)
Leading scorer of the B1G Tournament, totaling two goals and six points.
Scored game-winning goal in a double overtime win versus then No. 14 Penn State.
Named to the B1G All-Tournament Team.
The National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) is a nonprofit organization serving field hockey coaches and supporters of the game from across the United States. The mission of the association is to champion, strengthen, and celebrate field hockey coaches and the game. The NFHCA strives to be the organization that every field hockey coach looks to for the resources to grow in the game and the inspiration to stay in the game.