Compton, Harris named NFHCA Division III National Players of the Week
MANAHAWKIN, NJ — Senior defender from Vassar College, Heidi Compton, and senior forward from Vermont State University Castleton, Emily Harris, have been named this week’s NFHCA Division III Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week, respectively.
Junior goalkeeper from No. 22 Shenandoah University, Taylor Swann, and graduate forward from No. 2 Babson College, Sinaed Walsh, received honorable mention nods for Division III Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week, respectively, as well.
NFHCA Division III Defensive Player of the Week
Heidi Compton, Vassar College, Sr., Defender (Clark, New Jersey)
- Led the defense in both of the Brewers victories.
- The senior made two defensive saves against Montclair State in a 3-1 win.
- Compton and the Brewers’ defense did not allow a shot in the 4-0 victory over Ramapo.
NFHCA Division III Offensive Player of the Week
Emily Harris, VTSU Castleton, Sr., Forward (Crondall, England)
- Harris was named the LEC Offensive Player of the Week after racking up 13 goals and three assists for 29 points in a 3-0 week for the Spartans, which saw her post all three game-winners.
- She found the back of the cage five times in a 6-2 win over Rensselaer before scoring two goals with one helper in a 3-0 win over Skidmore.
- Harris then capped the week with six goals and two assists in an 8-0 rout of Bridgewater State, and in doing so became the program’s career goals leader with 87.
- Her 200 career points are now second-most all-time at VTSU Castleton.
NFHCA Division III Defensive Player of the Week Honorable Mention
Taylor Swann, No. 22 Shenandoah University, Jr., Goalkeeper (Crisfield, Maryland)
- Guarded the cage for all 180 minutes of 22nd-ranked Shenandoah’s 3-0 week that included a pair of shutouts.
- Through six games, Shenandoah (5-1) has surrendered only four goals with a plus-19 scoring margin.
- Swann leads the ODAC in goals against average (.762), shutouts (3), and save percentage (.846).
NFHCA Division III Offensive Player of the Week Honorable Mention
Sinaed Walsh, No. 2 Babson College, Gr., Midfielder (Port Elizabeth, South Africa)
- NEWMAC Offensive Player of the Week.
- Scored the game-winning goal in a 3-2 win over No. 13 Bates as part of a three-point day and produced a season-high four points with a goal and two assists in a 7-0 victory over Clark.
- Capped the week with an assist in the Beavers’ 3-2 loss at No. 1 Middlebury.
The National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) is a nonprofit organization serving field hockey coaches and supporters of the game from across the United States. The mission of the association is to champion, strengthen, and celebrate field hockey coaches and the game. The NFHCA strives to be the organization that every field hockey coach looks to for the resources to grow in the game and the inspiration to stay in the game.