Scope of Work: The position of assignor of officials is the NCAA’s commitment to improving the overall quality and consistency of officiating throughout field hockey. The position will help promote better communication between officials, coaches and the NCAA, and help provide consistency in the interpretation of NCAA field hockey rules and officiating mechanics; the intent is to work in conjunction with the officiating improvement programs currently administered by non-NCAA entities. Additionally, the program will assist the NCAA Divisions I, II and III Field Hockey Committees in the identification, training, selection and evaluation of officials for each of the NCAA field hockey championships.
Application Procedure: Send letter of application, resume and two letters of recommendation from members of the NCAA collegiate field hockey community (e.g., coach, official, etc.) by August 2, 2021 to John Bugner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation: A small stipend will be paid to the successful candidate.
Duties, Requirements and Responsibilities:
a. Maintain a regional and national database of umpires;
b. Assign umpires for all rounds of the championships, confirm those assignments with the national committee and host institutions;
c. Designate the head umpire for each game;
d. Notify officials of their assignments;
e. Monitor that officials selected to work postseason are in compliance with the criteria set forth for selection (i.e. working minimum number of NCAA contests, years of experience, test score, clinic attendance, conference recommendation, background check information);
f. Work with NCAA staff and USA Field Hockey on officials improvement program (recruitment, training, education, retention; if requested);
g. Attend NCAA/USA Field Hockey umpires clinics (if requested);
h. Communicate travel, game and meeting times, and lodging arrangements (if necessary) with each official;
i. Work with NCAA staff to annually update Umpires’ Manual;
j. Provide annual report to committee and NCAA staff;
k. Attendance at annual meeting (if requested);
l. Travel to the championship final site to evaluate the umpires;
m. Coordinate evaluators to attend divisional championships;
n. Shall not be an active NCAA coach, official, or conference coordinator/assignor; and
o. Other duties as assigned by NCAA staff and/or the NCAA Field Hockey Championship Committees.
*This position and the NCAA Field Hockey Rules Interpreter position can be held by the same individual.
Preferred Qualifications and Minimum Requirements:
1. Bachelor’s degree (essential).
2. Excellent written and verbal communication skills (essential).
3. Ability to relate effectively with umpires and coaches on a national level (essential).
4. Extensive knowledge of FIH rules and NCAA rules modifications and their relationship to officiating mechanics and techniques (essential).
5. Strong administrative and organizational skills (essential).
6. Ability to use electronic mail as a means of correspondence (essential).
7. Experience in officiating or coaching at the collegiate level (essential).
8. Shall not be an active NCAA coach, official, or conference coordinator/assignor; and
9. Experience coaching at the collegiate level (preferred).
To apply for this job please visit ncaamarket.ncaa.org.