From the NFHCA
“In these unprecedented times, there has never been a more important moment for the field hockey community to come together as one. I am encouraged and excited by the creativity and adaptability that coaches are showing during this pandemic — showing that even in difficult circumstances, they continue to put student-athletes first and keep our sport front-of-mind.
The NFHCA is committed to supporting all of our coaches through this uncertain moment and is working hard to ensure that we will be putting our best foot forward when we take the field again.”
— Anne Parmenter, NFHCA President
NFHCA COVID-19 Updates
- A 2020-2021 NFHCA awards update was distributed to current members — visit the Awards section of our FAQ page for more information.
- The usual membership deadline (September 30) has been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19 — interested coaches can still register for a membership.
- All Open Collegiate Practice Day planning has been put on hold.
More COVID-19 Updates
- Feb. 18 — DI Council extends recruiting dead period through May 31 (NCAA)
- Nov. 18 — Recruiting dead period in all sports extended by DI Council (NCAA)
- Sept. 22 — DI Board of Directors approves plan for holding fall championships in spring (NCAA)
- Sept. 16 — DI Council approves moving fall championships to the spring (NCAA)
- Sept. 16 — DI Council extends recruiting dead period (NCAA)
- Sept. 2 — DII grants all fall athletes further season-of-competition relief (NCAA)
- Aug. 21 — DII Presidents Council approves further COVID-19 protections for student-athletes (NCAA)
- Aug. 21 — Division I to work toward hosting fall championships in spring (NCAA)
- Aug. 20 — DIII Administrative Committee recommends not competing in the fall term (NCAA)
- Aug. 20 — DI Council recommends fall championships move to spring (NCAA)
- Aug. 17 — NCAA Eligibility Center announces flexibility in initial eligibility for 2021-22 (NCAA)
- Aug. 14 — Division II to resume normal recruiting calendars Sept. 1 (NCAA)
- Aug. 12 — Council recommends protections, adopts emergency legislation (NCAA)
- Aug. 5 — DII Presidents Council cancels fall 2020 championships (NCAA)
- Aug. 5 — Division III Presidents Council cancels fall championships (NCAA)
- Aug. 5 — Board directs each division to safeguard student-athlete well-being, scholarships and eligibility (NCAA)
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I be able to renew my NFHCA membership?
Will we be playing in the fall?
Coaches at all playing levels should be having dialogue with their peers and administrators about their institution’s and conference’s thought processes regarding the impact of COVID-19.
Decisions about a return to competition will be made by the NCAA and state high school athletic associations, these decisions will be influenced by federal, state, and local guidelines as well as guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What is the current status on recruiting?
This is a fluid topic. Answers will vary by NCAA Division and by institution — there is no one-size-fits-all model. Prospective student-athletes and coaches should continue to monitor rulings from the NCAA (resources which are linked on this page) and act with the health and well-being of PSAs and coaches in mind.
For PSAs: The NFHCA encourages the use of video as a recruiting tool. Visit our Recruiting 101 page for helpful information and how-to guides.
For college coaches: The NCAA will set this path — keep an open line of communication between you and your administration and conference offices.
How can we hold trainings and competition safely?
Federal, state, and local governments as well as the NCAA and high school state athletic associations will guide these decisions.
How do I share information that would be relevant for this page?
Please contact email@example.com regarding the maintenance of this page.
Return to Play
- NCAA Resocialization of Collegiate Sport: Developing Standards for Practice and Competition (July 16)
- ‘COVID-19 for Coaches and Administrators’ Course Now Available from NFHS Learning Center (July 6)
- NFHS Guidance for Opening Up High School Athletics and Activities (May 20)
- FIH Guidelines: Safely Returning to Hockey (May 19)
- USOPC: Return to Event Considerations (May 7)
- USOPC: Return to Training Considerations (April 30)